Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Gobbolino - Cat among the Toads


Here's little Gobbolino after being flung to the back of the witches cave amongst the toads, dismissed because of his white sock and blue eyes. I wanted it to have a classic fairytale feel and also wanted to try a pen and ink effect. I spent a lot of time looking at the great black and white illustrators and cartoonists of the past (Joseph Clement Coll, A. B. Frost, Thomas Sullivant, Heinrich Kley, James Montgomery Flagg), and modern masters of the medium (Bernie Wrightson, Mike Kaluta, Gary Gianni), and then stopped because it was getting too depressing.

Of course I'm far too cowardly to try this with real pen and ink so I tried to see if I could replicate the effect with Painter's digital Pens and Calligraphy 'brushes'. I also had a quick experiment with adding a colour wash using Photoshop's wet media brushes (see below).

No comments: