Wednesday, 8 April 2009

More Dahl Daubings


My grandmother was tremendously old and wrinkled, with a massive wide body which was smothered in grey lace [...] My grandmother was the only grandmother I ever met who smoked cigars.
Roald Dahl, The Witches

"Birgit Svenson [...] One day she started growing feathers all over her body. Within a month, she had turned into a large white chicken. Her parents kept her for years in a pen in the garden. She even laid eggs."
Roald Dahl, The Witches


"...down in the kitchen the cook once found a baby crocodile swimming in his saucepan of soup."
Roald Dahl, The Witches



More Witches based scribbling. I'd intended to do some illustrations for the back of the mock book cover. I wanted three portraits in circular windows, along the lines of what you used to get on EC comics covers, a sort of preview of what lay within... 'terrifying transformations'... 'revolting recipes'... 'Ghoul-hunting Grannies'. It turned out they looked quite cramped on the back of the cover, but here they are anyway sans their EC style portholes.

1 comment:

Axel E. Alonso said...

Love his books! I was looking whom else might be doing some decent fan art of this witches! As you do! Hope to see more ^_^! I am just in love with the high witch Mrs. Eva Ernst!